This is an effort by the American Red Cross to bring attention to know pet first aid. As I was looking into this, I found that you can attend a first aid course for your pet. You can learn, CPR and other helpful life saving skills about seizures, choking, splinting an injury and much, much more. One thing I found helpful is creating a first aid kit for your car or your backpack when out on nature walks or hiking trips.
FIRST AID KIT:
1. A typed out paper with Vet, Emergency Vet, poison control (800)426-4435 numbers. Also vaccination records and a picture of you and your pet with your info in a waterproof zip lock bag.
2. Extra Nylon Leash.
3. Self Cling bandage you can purchase from a pet store (Fur).
4. Muzzle or stripes of cloth to prevent biting, do not use if vomiting, coughing or breathing issues.
5. Gauze pads.
7. Antiseptic wipes for you and your pet.
8. Hydrogen Peroxide.
9. Disposable gloves.
10. Small tube of Vaseline for thermometer lubrication.
11. Rectal Thermometer Pets temp should never rise above 103 F or below 100 F.
14. Pillow case (confine a cat if needed for safety)
15. Ear Cleaning Solution.
16. Benadryl for allergic reactions, bug bites. Ask vet for specific dosage.
I carry a lot of this in my car already but will now add specific items for my beloved fur baby!